* (0:41) A look back at the Big Board. * (3:37) Lesson prep for a church and how it demonstrates a social concept that applies to gaming. * (7:17) Performance by one versus content by all. * (15:14) Recognizing what's important to another person. * (25:01) Whose benefit is the game for? Setting the right level of control. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan
* (0:27) When Fear the Boot turns into AM radio.
* (2:42) Giving away some metal Battletech dice. You can enter by leaving your plot idea for Battletech (or generic science fiction) on this website.
* (3:32) The Library Land Podcast.
* (4:44) The value in offering players finite options. Infocom games.
* (0:31) With Pulp Gamer closing their network, Fear the Boot is now a proud member of the RPG Academy network of shows. * (1:20) TsunamiCon in Wichita, KS, from October 7th to 9th. You can find their page here and support their Kickstarter here. * (4:07) Where's Dan? Wayne went to a shibari event once... Also, duct tape is not to be used for bondage. * (5:02) After effects of the index card suggestions: Brodeur's game of reckless colonial expansion, party-throwing, and "What's money for?" * (11:06) The problem with index carding: Which of these things do I actually get around to doing? * (19:33) Problematic Plothook Parties. * (21:34) Success with consequences in Blades in the Dark. * (28:07) Game aftercare for GMs and players. * (29:47) They always wanna kill his girls. Maybe it's Pavlovian at this point. * (31:08) The serial killer, and how Chad screwed up. * (37:31) The forest for the trees. Table rules regarding phones. Salvaging the game from a plot hole and too many weeks off. * (51:29) NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: I hate you too, Brodeur and Sgt. Dan. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Sgt. Dan, Wayne
* (0:23) Some more details on Derek’s charity games (low level, mid level, and high level tiers). * (3:04) Time to go bonus episode! The FAST test for stroke. * (5:10) Customers beat down Brodeur, illustrating the reason Dan became a programmer. * (11:26) Chad loves the customers. Or at least doesn't hate them. Dan and Wayne just don't generally get angry. * (22:56) A reality that doesn't work for anyone involved. Wayne puts himself in high pressure sales vs Dan's tactic for coping with them. Elmo's work ethic. * (31:59) Chad gets threatened over a stranger's girlfriend. * (45:29) Bottle it up for later. * (49:30) The GoFundMe page to help Pat and Beth with medical costs. His status updates on Caring Bridge. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan, Wayne
* (0:30) Setting a boundary on the topic. * (2:16) Keeping an NPC fair. * (6:07) Tactical vs compassionate vs in-character. * (14:01) Enemy fear and greed. * (33:30) When the enemy's reality changes. The shock of success. * (40:24) Playing favorites. Hosts: Aisha, Chad, Dan, Wayne
* (0:28) Charles has too little British for Brodeur and too little beef for Wayne. * (3:34) The flash fiction anthology, FLASH!, which you can grab from Amazon. * (4:54) The Lairdbalor. * (6:22) More properly introducing Charles. * (9:38) Corsana: The Phalanx Syndicate. * (12:43) Using an RPG to play-test a story. * (16:47) The relationship between forms of creativity. * (25:35) Intimidating the players by knowing your setting too well. * (43:15) The value of seemingly irrelevant conversation. Two things to give depth to a flat character. * (54:57) Get in on the Fear the Con 11 Kickstarter! Hosts: Brodeur, Dan, Wayne Guests: Charles Wellington
* (0:29) White whales. * (2:09) What do you want to run but have never had the chance to? * (10:17) What do you want to play but have never had the chance to? * (18:14) What do you want to get published but never have? * (27:07) A big thanks to Chris Torres. * (30:06) How the lack of attention given to Amelie in the Skies of Glass AP led Dan to develop her more. * (43:14) Inverting the formula and letting player non-reactions create content. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan, Wayne
* (0:28) Fear the Con's site is ready. * (1:13) Our emails have been fixed, including the confirmation for forum signup. * (8:56) The planned ending for a session of the Actual Play goes awry. * (14:59) Being fair to your players. The song that inspired the intended scene. * (21:23) Reinventing the end. * (22:02) Giving your players the freedom to surprise you. * (32:16) Changing up instead of panicking or doubling-down. * (37:50) Planning for the unexpected by looking at what something brings to the game, not how an event might turn out. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan
* (0:28) Chad vs Pat's phone.
* (5:34) Brodeur hates train games.
* (11:09) Dan's gaming whale gets a certificate of authenticity.
* (15:00) Fortune-telling with gnoll coins.
* (16:34) There's no shame in a job.
* (19:46) Brodeur grows up poor.
* (34:15) Who did and didn't get TPed.
* (37:18) Dan's hood.
Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan, Pat
* (0:29) Brodeur thanks John Wells, Mark Lawson, and Sgt. Dan for help with Crown Royal bags. * (2:33) Dan gets a copy of Battletech's Alpha Strike rules. * (4:25) A shift—or new fad—in tabletop roleplaying games: consuming play instead of participating in it. * (12:32) New technologies allowing a new market, misinterpreted as a change in an existing market. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan
* (0:32) Medieval torture chairs.
* (1:20) Battletech box set giveaway. All you need to do is follow us on Twitter and tweet #GenCon2015 along with the name of a 'Mech you like. Don't know the 'Mechs? Just tell us that, or you can find some here.
* (1:50) Additional giveaways at the whim of Chris.
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die (PC)
Motocross Madness (XBOX)
BattleBlock Theater (XBOX)
Mark of the Ninja (XBOX)
Dungeon Fighter LIVE: Fall Of Hendon Myre (XBOX)
Orcs Must Die! (XBOX)
* (4:15) Designing a villain for an RPG. The importance of depth. How to make your players care about him/her/it.
* (9:34) The force of nature.
* (13:13) The unstoppable force.
* (17:14) The ends justify the means.
* (2037) The fallen hero.
* (21:45) The madman.
* (23:53) The selfish or greedy. Slick Rick's Children's Story.
* (26:46) Personal enemy.
* (28:41) Pure evil.
* (35:24) Differing moral priorities or perspectives.
* (37:19) Someone panicked.
* (38:56) The fanatic.
* (40:27) A relatable but selfish need.
* (42:20) The devotee.
Hosts: Brodeur, Dan, Pat, Wayne
* (0:23) Introducing Beth and Adam. * (1:27) Dan will be on the Connections radio show on Wednesday, November 8th, from 10:30pm - 11:00pm Eastern time. You can find how to tune-in here. * (4:00) Whatever this con is called, it's occurring on June 22nd and 23rd, 2018. If the Wing Night funds, that will be on June 21st. * (12:03) Admission to the convention is free. Whether it happens or not is purely up to the Kickstarter, which we hope you'll back! * (18:21) Taking Bob's place. * (21:26) The con's location. The random gnoll sketch Dan was given by a vendor last year. * (23:46) Ending a convention with heat exhaustion. Hosts: Adam, Beth, Dan
* (0:33) Chad fired Brodeur, Dan is the head of HR, Broflake pending. * (6:26) Fear the Con X, post-con. Special thanks to Adam, Bob, and Derek. Also thanks to Beth, Julia, our Kickstarter backers, and everyone who attended. Derek's beard. * (10:23) Some gaming advice that Dan learned at FTC: Hiring an agent of chaos. Over the berm, where Pat kills us all. * (17:10) Inspecting the Broflake. Brodeur's reaction to ghosts. * (23:49) Chad's topic: Darkenship. Nobody gets Dan's jokes. * (27:39) Technical expertise and real-world knowledge when running a game. * (32:38) Never weaponize the information. Instead, use it as seasoning. Mr. Robot. For anyone not familiar, PerfMon is performance monitor. * (40:46) Weaving the information into the narrative. * (44:07) Pat getting possessed by Ted Kennedy. * (48:05) A quick round-robin of best games from the con. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan, Wayne
* (1:07) Fear the Boot's Secret Santa, run by Noob13. You can find details on the forums. * (2:15) Dan's interview on Talking Tabletop with Jim McClure. Fear the Boot's Twitter and Facebook links. * (3:59) A cross-town move forces Dan to look through his possessions and contemplate life. The Battletech warchest system. * (9:06) Changing taste in games perhaps tied to a diminishing ability to focus on crunch. Our episode on getting started with Battletech. * (16:09) A question to the listeners: How has time changed your taste in games? Hosts: Dan
* (0:41) Derek Knutsen's Kickstarter for Flower of Heaven. * (1:27) The Kickstarter for GamersTable, Season 2. * (2:51) Defining C.A.R. NPCs with a few examples. * (11:42) Why GMs accept unacceptable behavior. * (21:34) Minding how an NPC is setup and used. * (27:35) Advice for players. * (35:24) Advice for GMs. * (45:39) Being cognizant of your character's nature. * (50:56) Good versus good. * (52:48) How video games might be helping. Hosts: Chad, Dan, Wayne
* (0:46) Fear the Con X's Kickstarter is live and needs your support. * (1:55) Support the Strays on No Shave November. Also, much love to Matt who joined the team after this show was recorded, which is why he doesn't get mentioned in the audio. * (9:45) The finite resources of governance, The Rules for Rulers, The Dictator's Handbook, and how it all relates to RPGs. * (20:29) Dan's Story: Contractor Competition. People want each other's resources for the same objectives. * (25:32) Techniques for designing the power structure. Political Order and Political Decay. * (49:44) So we were playing Riven... Hosts: Chad, Dan, John, Wayne
* (1:19) The requisite disclaimers. * (1:57) How mental health affects gaming, as the person with the condition. * (2:26) Attendance issues. * (5:15) Accepting that some issues can't be dealt with or accommodated in the context of gaming. * (7:02) Some ideas for accommodating attendance issues when you can. * (10:53) Beating yourself up during the game. * (12:12) Accommodating mid-game issues. * (17:37) Being anxious about being anxious. * (22:28) The relationship between depression and self-value. Asking the right questions. * (27:23) Tough thoughts during the downtime. * (31:55) Dan versus the X card. The importance of communicating meaningful information. Applying Hanlon's Razor to issue of offense. * (52:22) Wayne gives his thanks to a group at DruCon. The value of distraction. * (54:49) A big thanks to our Patreon backers! Hosts: Brodeur, Chris, Dan, Wayne
* (0:54) Revisiting side games. * (1:39) How we deviated from our prior advice. * (3:47) Chad loses InSpectres and switches to Wilderness of Mirrors. * (6:13) On the activities of the players and their gang. * (9:18) Objective 1: Kill James Waite. * (11:28) Not keeping the side game and main game related. * (12:32) Could players that aren't there for side games be left in the dark? * (28:18) Easter Eggs for longtime fans that aren't necessary information to understanding the plot. * (31:57) Going back in time. * (33:48) Generating game ideas by asking what the players would like to learn more about. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan, Pat
* (0:44) Being a fan for a second time.
* (2:24) What's missing in American politics.
* (4:26) The winners of the Battletech drawing. More giveaways are coming very soon, so keep up with Fear the Boot's Twitter feed. You can find Chris' Twitter feed here and Dan's here.
* (5:34) The Baby Shoes flash fiction anthology.
* (6:01) The Kickstarter for Loaded Up and Truckin'.
* (6:41) Head-canon. What it is and why we have it.
* (17:04) Handling contradictory head-canons within a gaming group.
* (0:49) Life problems interfering with our recording schedule. * (1:47) Chad's latest garage sale find, and why Brodeur is banned from garage sales. * (4:57) The first D&D video game Chad bought, Shadow Sorcerer. * (9:12) A quick history of the relationship between tabletop roleplaying games and video games. The second D&D video game Chad grabbed, Secret of the Silver Blades. * (15:31) The third video game, Curse of the Azure Bonds. The original novel, Azure Bonds, and its subsequent module, also called Curse of the Azure Bonds. * (18:43) The puzzle wheels and game aids used as copy protection on the games. * (23:21) The not-so-new idea of transferring your characters between a video game and its sequel. The segregation of software stores. * (27:23) Parts of the Forgotten Realms they said they'd never develop...and then did. Keef the Thief. * (33:36) Bringing Alias to a new generation. Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan